Sunday, January 29, 2012

Picture of the Day - The Winter Sprinter

 (DISCLAIMER - I normally make the picture of the day one I took with my own ultra high quality phone camera, but since I didn't get any good shots of the meet with it today, I'm borrowing one from a friend. :) ).

Today was the day I competed in Longmont's Winter Sprinter swim meet.  I missed it last year but swam the previous two years and had a lot of fun, so I wasn't going to miss out this year.  I swam the 50 free, fly, back and breast, and 100 IM.  Two 2nds, a 3rd, and two 4ths.  Not bad for 40 and probably two total miles in the pool in the last two years.  The 50s felt good, even though my times were a little off from two years ago, and the 100 IM completely destroyed me (or maybe it was the 100 IM followed by a 50 back 3 heats later).  Endurance has never been my strong suit, and continues to not be lol.

But still, I competed, and it felt good to be back in my element.  I swam competitively for about 11 years, through high school and college, and it opened a lot of doors for me.  I wish I had kept track of the number of laps I have swum since my first day on the team...it would easily be a quarter million I bet, and honestly I'm not even exaggerating.  I was lucky to have parents who endured frequent weekend trips to Atlanta, 2 1/2 hours away, so I (and my brother) could bounce back and forth between two walls 25 or 50 meters apart a few times.  But in the end, swimming helped me meet some lifelong friends, helped get me through college, and helped get me my first job.  I really don't miss the training (I'm far to social an exerciser to really be able to enjoy keeping my head and mouth underwater while I work out), but I'll still do the Winter Sprinter every year just to remind me of the good ol' days.

At the meet today I had an AWESOME cheering section that consisted of Kathy and the kids, plus a crew from my kickboxing class.  There are really some truly amazing people in my life, and it is so cliche, but I really am lucky to have crossed paths with so many great souls.  Thank you to all who came, and thank you to everyone else who wished me luck and was there in spirit.

Now, the speedo is going back into hibernation for probably about a year...or maybe until triathlon season. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment