Friday, February 11, 2011

The Walk To School

I'm fortunate to live just two blocks from the school that both of my kids attend.  One of the things I've enjoyed most about the short distance has been the walk to school.  During our walks, my daughter always seems to have something she wants to know about.  We've had discussions about rocks.  We've had discussions about weather.  We've had discussions about eyeballs (her class just dissected a cow eyeball a couple of days ago, so she knew more about its anatomy than I did).  We've had discussions about politics.  We've had discussions about God.  It fascinates me to hear the things this little girl thinks of and what she is curious about. 

Recently we've had discussions about the snow.  There is a house on a corner that we pass every morning, and after a snow storm, the snow cover in its yard is usually pristine.  Becca recently called attention to the sparkles in it and asked why it is so glittery.  I explained to her that there are a lot of mirror-like surfaces in the snow, and as the sun reflects off of them, it makes them shine.  I told her a trick she could do is to stare at the snow without moving, then duck her head just the smallest bit, and she could see a whole new set of sparkles in the same area.  It really is serene to just stare at the snow in this condition under a bright sun.

The whole thing got me thinking how much of life is perspective.  Any given situation can look completely different with just the slightest change in your point of view.  I'm glad my daughter could help point that out to me.

2 comments:

  1. What a great entry! My kids are grown and out but I look back fondly on those times. True precious moments that we share with our kids. Nothin' better! And so true about perspective. Life really is what you make of it.

    (Love the photo!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post. For so many reasons. You are a great father. Your kids are awesome. And your perspective. Always seems to have this same sparkle. Truly.

    ReplyDelete