Sunday, July 31, 2011

Meaningful Songs

I've been in a strange mood tonight, and I've spent much of the evening browsing songs to use in my kickboxing classes.  Certain music has always invoked exceptionally strong reactions in me that span the range of emotions (and I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way).  A few weeks ago I was searching for a song from a group I'm very fond of, VNV Nation.  The first song of theirs I ever heard was called "Illusion", and the video I found was not made specifically for the song, but it matched up with the message of the song completely perfectly, and it was one of those profoundly moving songs I spoke of earlier.  I've been hooked on VNV Nation ever since. 

The song I was looking for also had a video with it that wasn't made specifically for the song, but again, the message of the song and the message of the video are just overwhelming.  It is called "From My Hands", and the message of the song is about moving on after a loss.   Not that I'm dwelling on any major losses in my life right now, but I found all kinds of parallels with situations I've experienced at various times in my life. 

As some of you around my neck of the woods might have heard, a deputy recently drowned while saving a young girl from a river in Wyoming.  I probably would have missed the story completely, but it just so happened that a friend of mine had just photographed his wedding a few weeks ago, and she posted on facebook the story that he was missing, a link to a "prayers for Bryan" group, and ultimately, the story that his body had been found.  She blogged about her experience at that wedding, and she wrote some pretty amazing things about Bryan.  It was obvious that he made an impact on her life in just the relatively short time that she had known him, and I know his death has hit her hard.  Just reading through the prayer page, it is also obvious that he was a very well liked individual and a great man who will be missed terribly.  And I can't even begin to imagine what his much too prematurely widowed wife is going through right now. 

This song made me think of this person I never knew, and I would imagine a lot of people can relate to it.  I don't personally know anyone who is a friend of his family except for my photographer friend, and I hope she can find peace as she finishes up their wedding album. 

No comments:

Post a Comment